20 September 2010

the tallest man, the largest hands

well i woke up one sunday morning
and made that drive out to your house
thirty miles, far and distant
to sit with your family and you at a church
teaching faiths i had no trace of left here
in a town where all of your friends knew my name
and no one else

i got to you and caught you shaking trees
just to bring down all the leaves
you said
"well i knew you loved the fall,
i thought i'd bring it to you sooner."
and no, i had never loved you more.
no i could not ever love you more
but she don't love me anymore

west, west, west
sings the beat in my chest
east, east, east
begs the sound of my sore feet
please darling, burn me into ashes
scatter me into the ocean
but please don't bury my body in the ground
unless it means you're safe and sound
then nothing else, to me, does matter